The Power of Knowing Who You Are

10:29 AM


I am a sufferer of mysophonia (a reduced ability to tune out sensory input; it means I get really bugged when people chew loudly), I am constantly bothered by having to buy specialty shoes to accommodate two different foot sizes and arch heights, and I am able to flex my right nostril independent of my left. Two of those statements are true; one is a lie. Can you guess which one?

As lighthearted as this game often is, it’s not too different from a more serious version that plays out in minds and hearts of people today. Each of us has a list of personal, “I am” statements which define, not only who we are, but how we act. Because I am a father and want to be a great father I live a certain lifestyle and behave in certain ways, especially with my family. However, because the relationship between “I am” and “I will” or “I do” is so significant, those “I am” statements are often the focus of anyone trying to sway our behavior, and some who have less-than benign intent.

In Moses 1, Moses, atop the mountain where such things are learned, discovered truth about his God and himself. He learned that God is almighty, endless, the creator of worlds and the Father of spirits. Most poignantly, God told Moses, “thou art my Son” (vv. 2-4). While a seemingly basic doctrine to many, this truth overwhelmed Moses.
 
As often happens with such spiritual enlightenment, Satan came next to Moses tempting him to doubt the very truth he has just barely learned: “Moses, son of man, worship me” (v. 12). But Moses stood in the face of Satan, empowered with what he had just learned regarding his divine nature: “I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?” (v. 13). Enraged at Moses’ righteous stubbornness, “Satan cried with a loud voice, and ranted upon the earth, and commanded, saying: I am the Only Begotten, worship me” (v. 19). Moses “began to fear” but was not deterred from what he knew to be true and he boldly commanded the adversary to depart.  

What happened next is both shocking and powerful: because of Moses’s insistence that he is a son of God and the power that truth gave him to stand toe-to-toe with Lucifer, “Satan began to tremble” in fear! Moses, empowered, commands Satan to depart and that once-great enemy, “with a loud voice, with weeping, and wailing, and a gnashing of teeth” obeyed Moses and left.

As simultaneously terrifying and marvelous as this experience must have been for Moses, it parallels experiences many have regularly today. Satan, through hundreds of thousands of subservient voices, would love nothing more today than to have people doubt their very relationship with God. No matter the source—whether misguided science or seeming logic—these voices would fill a heart with doubt. And, often, all it takes is one word—“if”. Satan tempted Jesus himself to doubt his own sonship by repeatedly barking phrases such as “If thou be the Son of God…” (vv. 3, 6) or “If thou wilt fall down and worship me…” (v. 9). 

Similarly today dissenting and discouraging voices try our faith by attempting to focus our attention on an endless supply of “ifs” rather than an eternal list of sureties. And when we respond to Satan’s “if” with, as Moses did, an “I am” or an “I know” then the adversary trembles. He can only drown a doubting soul, while those who continually solidify their faith remain steadfast and immovable. 

Questions:


  • How would you finish the phrase: “I am . . .”?
  • What pressures are there on you to believe you are something other than a child of God?
  • What impact would it have on our small portion of the world if we clung to and lived according to what God wants us to believe? What impact would it have on you?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images